On the afternoon on June 20th, 1877 fire devastated uptown Saint John. A total of 1612 structures were destroyed including eight churches, six banks, and fourteen hotels. In just over 9 hours much of the city was gone and nearly 2800 people were left homeless. Within a year new construction appeared in the business district along Prince William and King Streets and a building boom saw the development of new commercial buildings, homes and churches higher up on the hill east of Germain Street.
Rebuilt in Stone is a guided tour that visits 18 buildings and monuments in Uptown Saint John, to examine building stone that architects and builders used to rebuild the city. This guide uses both modern and archival photographs.Authors: Randall F. Miller & Gary K. Hughes
Language: Bilingual (French & English)
Publisher: The New Brunswick Museum
Publishing Date: 2009
# of Pages: 30